Week 3: Quality Healthcare: Measuring NP Performance
- Due Sunday by 11:59pm
- Points 200
- Submitting a file upload
The purpose of this assignment is to have students research the measurement tools of NP performance. Through the use of quality patient outcomes, student will l ist and discuss three different patient interventions and how they would specifically measure the outcomes and h o w these primary care interventions result in improved patient outcomes and cost savings for the practice . In addition, students will discuss how these interventions result in improved patient ratings .
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Employ strategies to impact the development, implementation, and consequences of holistic healthcare policies using evidence-based practice principles (CO1)
- Critically analyze how healthcare systems and APRN practice are organized and influenced by ethical, legal, economic and political factors (CO2)
- Demonstrate professional and personal growth concerning the advocacy role of the advanced practice nursing in fostering policy within diverse healthcare settings (CO3)
- Analyze social, historical, ethical and political contexts of healthcare policies and advanced practice leadership (CO4)
- Advocate for institutional, local, national and international policies that fosters person-centered healthcare and nursing practice (CO5)
Due Date: Sunday of week 3 by 11:59 PM MST.
Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment. Quizzes and discussions are not considered assignments and are not part of the late assignment policy.
Total Points Possible: 200
The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) was formed to ensure quality of patient care and measurement of patient outcomes with set standards.
Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) is a performance measurement tool used by millions of health insurance plans. There are 6 domains of care:
- Effectiveness of Care.
- Access/Availability of Care.
- Experience of Care.
- Utilization and Risk Adjusted Utilization.
- Health Plan Descriptive Information.
- Measures Collected Using Electronic Clinical Data Systems
You may access the 6 domains of care by clicking this link:
(NCQA, n.d. https://www.ncqa.org/hedis/ (Links to an external site.))
As an APN, productivity will be an important measurement for the practice to determine reimbursement and salary. Fee-for-service practices will require a set number of patients per day to maintain productivity. A capitated practice will require the APN to have a large panel of patients but also will focus on controlling costs. This can be accomplished through effective primary care that is accessible, convenient for the patients and has a method of measuring quality of care.
Write a formal paper in APA format with title page, introduction, the three required elements below, conclusion and reference page.
You are now employed as an FNP in primary care. Choose one performance measure from one of the six domains of care, i.e. Adult BMI Assessment, Prenatal and Postpartum care, etc.
Develop three different patient interventions for that one performance measure and how you would specifically implement the intervention and measure the outcomes for that particular performance measure in clinical practice.
How would these primary care interventions result in improved patient outcomes and cost savings for the practice?
How can these interventions result in improved NP patient ratings?