Topic: First Impressions of Sociology
A blog is like a journal designed to share information about some subject for a general audience. In this class, you will be generating and discussion four informed blogs about Sociological topics (I will provide the subjects/prompts). For your first post, I’m going to give you a little more structure and ask you to organize your blog post around the three following prompts:
- Introduce yourself (one large paragraph). Here, I’d like you to take some time and reflect on the following questions: Where do you see yourself fitting in society (usually people envision some type of career or family role)? What are 2 -3 social problems, needs, or phenomena related to this role or position? What types of Sociological knowledge and occupational skills (specifically reviewed in Chapter 1 and Lecture 1) will help you obtain this position and manage these social problems/needs/phenomena?
- Reflect Sociologically (one large paragraph). Using your own words, please describe the Sociological Imagination. Then, take one social problem/need/phenomenon that you listed above and describe how it can be treated as a personal trouble (i.e., applying the individualist perspective) AND as a public issue (i.e., applying the Sociological Imagination). In the U.S., is this social problem/need/phenomenon treated like a personal trouble or social problem? Defend your position using what you learned about the Sociological Imagination (e.g., think about blame, policies, stigmas, etc. related to this condition). You must referee an appropriate outside source here. Click here to read about credible outside sources. NOTE: Your work must substantively differ from the examples given in my lecture and the textbook!
- Analyze Theoretically (one large paragraph). A theory is a way of understanding the world that guides how we study it and change it. Using your own words, please briefly describe the two theoretical perspectives below (assigned by last name). Then, analyze the social problem/need/phenomenon you’ve been discussing in your post from each of these theoretical perspectives. Compare them and describe which theoretical approach would be useful for understanding this problem/phenomenon and why.
- Last name starting with A – G. Analyze the social problem/need/phenomenon using a functionalist and a conflict theoretical perspective .
- Last name starting with H – O. Approach the social problem/need/phenomenon using a conflict theoretical and a symbolic interactionist perspective
- Last name starting with P – Z. Approach the social problem/need/phenomenon using a symbolic interactionist and a functionalist perspective.