As you have learned in this course, leadership focuses on working with others in different ways to accomplish goals. The business world of today is complex and rapidly changing. Organizations need leaders who are flexible, adaptable, and emotionally intelligent to maintain a competitive advantage.
Your final assignment is to prepare a development guide for fostering effective leadership skills. The target audience for this guide includes first-line managers and supervisors who are seeking to develop their leadership skills. The guide should provide useful information and tips to review what to do and why in order to help these managers/supervisors become self-aware, effective leaders.
Your guide should address how to devote time to self-awareness and how this knowledge will enable them to improve as leaders. The goal is for these managers to use the guide daily for 14 days, and track the action(s) they took each day to create a positive change.
Your 14-day guide should help motivate users — from contemplating simply how to develop their skills into formulating clear steps for specific training and development actions. Each “day” should address a different element of leadership development and your suggested activities should be supported by best practice and scholarly research. Your guide should also provide users with:
- A description of at least five important skills or competencies necessary for effective leadership.
- Information regarding how to assess their current leadership skill levels.
- Recommendations for how to identify their personal leadership or managerial style.
- Tips or exercises to identify and develop their strengths.
- Tips or exercises to identify and improve upon their weaknesses.
- Developmental assignments or self-directed activities, which would increase the effectiveness in the identified leadership competencies.
Finally, your guide should provide a place for users to track their goals, reflections, and progress.
Length: 12-15 pages, not including title and reference pages
References: Support your guide with at least 10 references published in peer-reviewed journals in the past 7 years.
Your guide should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts that are presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
Upload your document and click the Submit to Dropbox button.