In Chapter 15, the author discusses the early images of Christ, and the influence of Greek and Roman art on Christian art.
Architecture greatly influences the growth of Christianity, as seen in this chapter in various cathedrals, particularly Chartres Cathedral.
Watch Part 1 of the Smart History video from Khan Academy through this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QRG-Xc6oU.
If the link is broken, paste it into your browser. This section is 5:51 minutes in length. Now answer the following questions:
- What is the relic of Chartres Cathedral ?
- Why would people travel long distances to see a relic?
- What is a pilgrimage?
- After the great fire in Chartres Cathedral, what happened to the relic?
- What are some of the main differences between the Romanesque cathedral and the Gothic cathedral architecture?
Now watch Part 2 of this program by selecting the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN5XRW7T0cc
If the link is broken, paste it into your browser. This section is 3.24 minutes in length. Now answer the following questions:
- Describe the impact of the stanied glass windows in the interior of the church.
- What particular elements of the architecture make the Gothic glass windows feasible?
- In your opinion, how does art serve religion in our own time?
After responding to the questions above, make at least one response to a classmate’s comments to receive full credit.*