This week we are discussing the importance of Humanities in education which is the focus of Project 2. Please first watch a TED talk by Nigerian American author Chris Abani where he discusses the subject of humanity.
After you have watched the TED Talk, respond to the following questions:
- How does Abani define humanity? What is his main argument? What causes us to be human?
- What does Abani use to back up his claims? What kind of examples does he share with his audience?
- Does Abani try to appeal to your logic, your emotions or both? Think about the big three rhetorical strategies (ethos, pathos, logos) and discuss: Does Abani effectively appeal to his audience?
- Do you agree with his definition of humanity?
- What was your biggest takeaway or AHA moment from this Talk? What interested you or surprised you the most?
“On Humanity” | Chris Abani
- Your initial response should be 150-300 words per question.