Write a post, or post a video, in which you:
- Introduce yourself
- Share a few personal details that you are comfortable sharing with others. Examples might be the state where you live, your support network, or even something fun like your favorite movie or hobby
- Identify and describe your past experiences with an individual or a particular event that influenced you to pursue a career as a school counselor.
Post your explanations to the following:
- What strengths do you possess that will help you build a strong therapeutic alliance with clients/students?
- What might you struggle with in building a relationship?
- How will those skills and counseling characteristics help you be a better counselor and social change agent with multicultural clients in diverse clinical presentations and settings (e.g., schools, agencies, private practice, and communities)?
Capuzzi, D., Stauffer, M.D, & Gross, D.R. (2016). The helping relationships: From core dimensions to brief and integrative possibilities. In D. Capuzzi & M. D. Stauffer (Eds.), Counseling and psychotherapy: Theories and interventions (6th ed., pp. 3–34). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Ratts, M.J., Rafferty McCullough, J., & Rubel, D. J. (2016). Diversity and social justice issues in counseling and psychotherapy. In D. Capuzzi & M. D. Stauffer (Eds.), Counseling and psychotherapy: Theories and interventions (6th ed., pp. 35–71). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.