Illustration Essay Draft
Write a 750-1000 word essay about a topic in which you argue for the
existence of a particular phenomenon by stating a generalization about the
topic. Then you will support that generalization (in the form of a thesis
statement) by choosing to write a single-example illustration essay or a
multiple-example illustration essay (see Unit V, Lesson 2). The essay should be
written in the style and form described within Unit V.
Purpose: Throughout Unit V, we have discussed the conventions of the
illustration essay. The purpose of this assignment is to measure your mastery
of those conventions by putting your knowledge to practice. In a larger
context, the purpose of writing an illustration essay is to convey an idea to
the reader by providing illustrations (examples) that will solidify the
existence of a topic.
Process: For the illustration essay, you will complete the following steps:
- Choose a topic: See the methods for developing a topic and the suggested
list of topics in Unit V, Lesson 3.
- Decide if you want to write a single-example or multiple-example essay:
See Unit V, Lesson 2, for more instruction on the differences
between single-example and multiple-example essays.
- Collect illustrations: See Unit V, Lesson 1, for more information about
different kinds of illustrations. See Unit V, Lesson 4, for
more information about how to gather illustrations.
- Craft your thesis statement: See Unit V, Lesson 5, for more information on
how to write a thesis. Note that you want to craft your
thesis according to whether you choose to write a
single-example or a multiple-example essay.
- Draft the essay: For each section of the essay, see the following: Unit V,
Lesson 6, for the introduction; Unit V, Lesson 7, for the
body paragraphs; and Unit V, Lesson 8, for the conclusion.
Stylistic details: All essays must meet the following requirements:
- 750-1000 words.
- Write in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
- Include one-inch margins on all sides.
- Use double spacing (top-to-bottom every page, to include above and below
titles and centered words).
- Include an APA title page (for all essays) and reference list that
includes all of the sources used in the essay.
- Include a header.
- Include page numbers (upper-right corner only).
- Adhere to APA convention and documentation style (See the CSU citation guide for assistance.).
- At least one source is required. All sources used must be cited.
The following document will assist you in creating this assignment:
Information about accessing the grading rubric for this assignment is
The following resource(s) may help you with this assignment.