To understand the purpose of many of the practices used in higher education, it is important to examine these practices from a historical perspective. This affords higher education leaders and faculty the means to make informed assessments of the practices to determine if their continued use is merited. In this assignment, you will trace the history of a current practice in higher education and assess its viability for continued use.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Write a paper (1,250-1,500 words) in which you trace the history of a current practice in higher education and assess its viability for continued use. Include the following in your paper:
- A clear description of the practice and its historical origins.
- A discussion of how research has changed the practice from its inception to its current form.
- A research-based assessment of the continued viability of the practice. Does the research indicate that the practice should be continued? Keep in mind Cohen’s first question regarding the topic of study.
- A research-based discussion of how continuing or discontinuing the practice might shape the future of higher education.