Human service professionals are challenged to assist clients in establishing goals related to outcomes. Assessing these goals early in the therapeutic process can provide the structure and direction needed to move forward in the intervention.
You have been assigned as a case worker for a new client. The client meets with you for the first time to discuss his/her concern. The client, a 52-year-old man, has just moved into the state and gained custody of his two medically-fragile children, ages 4 and 2. He is the primary caregiver for the 2 children, works full time and is attending school. The client has enrolled the children in school.
At this visit, the client requested support to receive early intervention services for the children, who are displaying developmental delays in the areas of communication, language development, and fine motor skills. The client has obtained information about a developmental pediatrician; however, he indicates the children may require more support.
Respond to the following questions in 550-750 words:
- What is the purpose of the client’s visit?
- What are the primary and secondary issues and/or concerns of the client?
- Are there any elements missing from the summary you will need to know for a complete assessment?
- In this interview scenario, how can you assist your client in establishing a goal(s) related to the outcomes?
- What steps are needed to assist clients in establishing goals?
- What value does collaboration have during your interview?
- How do you identify the most effective objective(s)?
- What are some objectives that would support the identified goal?
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.