Final Project Part 1
Your Final Project will consist of three parts that will aid you in completing a research paper and creating an educational brochure that integrates what you have learned about genetic predisposition and how to make the public more aware of the issue you have chosen.
In this first part of the Final Project, you will:
- Present your topic of choice
- Provide a written summary of your topic of choice
- Provide three scholarly references
Your first task in Part 1 this unit will be to choose a topic that interests you and fulfills the requirements for the project. The topic you choose has to involve a genetic predisposition for a particular characteristic or condition. You will be required to construct a written report of this trait or condition and explain the biochemical process that is influenced in addition to describing the genetic patterns of inheritance. Topics could include cancer biology or the genetic component of osteoporosis or obesity.
In choosing your topic review the following requirements for this project and make sure to select a topic that will allow you to research and report on the following:
- Explain the genetic consequences of the observed trait or conditions. Compare and contrast the normal and disease state of the condition and the genetic differences.
- Describe how the condition is inherited and the population genetics related to the condition. Explain the relationship between genetic information transfer and the structure of nucleic acids.
- Include a biochemistry review that focuses on the medically applicable concepts and techniques that form the underpinnings of the diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment of medical conditions.
- Define any genetic testing currently available.
In addition to choosing your topic this unit, you will also need to submit a paragraph explaining why the topics of your choice meets the requirements for the project and your personal interest in the topic. Explain any difficulties you had, or strategies you used, to justify your paper topic choice.
Finally, you will need to provide three credible references. You will perform library and internet research in order to locate at least three references that relate to your topic. Two of these references should come from books (including your textbook) and/or peer-reviewed journal articles. The other references can come from websites (do not use Wikipedia).
Review the Reading in this unit for information on locating a reliable internet source.
Your list of references must use APA format. You will also find additional support in this unit’s Reading for APA formatting.