QUESTIONS ON William Faulkner’s “Cathedral”.
YOUR ANSWERS SHOULD BE SHORT BUT TO THE POINT. NO INTRODUCTORY REMARKS/DETAILS NEEDED. If a question has two parts, make sure you respond to both.
1. What is the NAME of the narrator? What Point of View is used in this story?
2. What prejudices or misconceptions did the host have about blind people? How are those misconceptions dispelled? (Use at least three specific incidents)
3. Why does the woman leave Robert and the narrator together? Is her action deliberate?
4. In what ways does the narrator change at the end of the story?
5. In one paragraph of eight lines or so, explore the symbolism of the cathedral in this story. (Revisit your “Glossary of Literary Terms” to refresh your mind on the word ”SYMBOLISM”)
Write a 300- word essay on the character of the Duke in Robert Browning’s poem, “My Last Duchess”.
Your title is: THE CHARACTER OF THE DUKE IN BROWNING’S POEM, “MY LAST DUCHESS”.
NOTE: Please – if you do some research – don’t mistake the “historical” Duke with the “Fictional” Duke in the poem. Whatever you write about the duke’s character should come from the poem, not history.